Snippets from Sara Bareilles

I've done a snippets post before and made use of the lyrics of Owl City's songs. This time I am doing a Sara Bareilles post, since her lyrics are so diverse, vivid and is as always what I like, have a room for wonderful interpretation.

Thirty three songs, compressed in a letter.

Here goes nothing.

Once upon a time, in a faraway kingdom, man made up a story said that I should believe him. Go and tell your white knight that he's handsome in hindsight, but I don't want the next best thing.

He loves with rhythm and paints with flame. He comes in pieces with no name. I won't need answers, I'll just know. Cause I've read the sonnets about his soul. He can be ordinary in the best ways and still dance like a poet through every word he says.

All I have, all I need, he's the air I would kill to breathe.

Inspire me with blood of blue and green. I have hope, inside is not a heart but a kaleidoscope.

Jump start my kaleidoscope heart, love to watch the colors fade, they may not make sense, but they sure as hell made me.

Take your best shot. Here I stand, heart in hand and fearless I'm not. But I am what I am and I know what I'm not and I know enough to know it's never gonna be much more than weather.

I do what I can wherever I end up to keep giving my good love and spread it around. ‘Cause I've had my fair share of take care and goodbyes. I've learned how to cry and I'm better for that.

Savor the sorrow to soften the pain, sip on the southern rain as I do. I don't look, don't touch, don't do anything, but hope that there is a you.

Here in these deep city lights a girl could get lost tonight. I'm finding every reason to be gone. There's nothing here to hold on to. Could I hold you?

What would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me? Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song, I will try not to sing out of key.

Maybe is a vicious little word that can slay me, keep me when I'm hurting and make me hang from your hands.

Your unexpected love provides my solitary's suicide.

You were the air in my breath filling up my love soaked lungs, such a beautiful mess intertwined and overrun. Nothing better than this and then the storm can come, you feel just like the sun.

It isn't something I need 'til you tell me I can't. Why wear my heart on my sleeve when it looks so good in your hand? My heart breaks in a heartbeat and you storm me when you come and go. The taste of something so sweet should have warned me about the undertow.

You hold me without touch. You keep me without chains. I never wanted anything so much than to drown in your love and not feel your reign.

You may be my final match 'cause I chase everything when you play throw and I play catch. It never took much to keep me satisfied, but all the bullshit you feed me, you miss me, you need me. This hungry heart will not subside.

And my heavy heart sinks deep down under you and your twisted words. Your help just hurts.

I'm used to being one with the misfortune to find. Afternoons run for cover and full moons, just wonder what it looks like here on my morningside. Look back, don't you dare let me start. Do that. I don't care if the things that I have only make me afraid to lose. I need to let go. Need to want to keep letting you know that we both have a reason to follow.

Leave unsaid unspoken, eyes wide shut, unopened. You and me. Always between the lines.

Here's a simplification of everything we're going through. You plus me is bad news. But you're a lovely creation and I like to think that I am too.

All my life I've tried to make everybody happy, while I just hurt and hide, waiting for someone to tell me it's my turn to decide.

Goodbye, should be saying that to you by now shouldn't I?

I wish I was pretty. I wish I was brave.

I want to change my mind. I want to be enough.

I'm not the kind to try to tell you lies, but the truth is you've been hiding from it too. I see the end sneaking in behind your eyes, saying everything no words could ever do. Does anybody know how to hold my heart? Cause I don't want to let go.

Locked and loaded, you're practically floating away now in your fortress. You feel like you're more or less safe now. But let me say, I don't mean harm.

Hold me responsible. It's all my fault. I want you to hold me any way you can.

Won't somebody come on in and tug at my seams? Oh, send your armies in of robbers and thieves to steal the state I'm in, I don't want it anymore. You're begging for the truth so I'm saying it to you. I've been saving your place and what good does it do? Now I'm just a basket case. 

You don't have to fight the bad guys, throwing punches out into the black. If you have to tell me lies, I don't care. Just give me some good back. I won't want to be alone. Sky, don't let the sun go. I'm not ready for the darkness. Swear upon a heartless soul.

Careful confessions can't scare you with my crime. I learned my lesson... love you a little at a time.

Leave my love in a letter went to the best on your side.

I dive in and I sink in and I find new colors to think in. I'm fading in and out. What are you supposed to do? Save me now from all this danger. You don't know how? And I'll find my way out.

I don't care how long it takes, I'm not going anywhere, love. You see there, this distance only makes me say it over and over till it gets to you.

The storm is coming soon, it rolls in from the sea. My love, a beacon in the night. My words will be your light, to carry you to me.

I used to believe that the storybook's true. Now I don't need it, at least not with you.

It's never your fault you can't start your own winning streak, but I'd hate to lose you to the fortune you seek.

You meant to make me happy, make me sad. Want to make it better, better so bad. But save your resolutions for your never new year, there is only one solution I can see here. Love, you're all I ever could need. Only one good thing worth trying to be and it's love. 

I do it for love.

Comments