Unexpected

I don't like you, we're not even friends.

It started with hatred, how you abhor the way I talk. You didn't want to listen to how my story goes but you didn't have much choice. Positioned next to each other, you endured every moment of each passing day while I happily traced them.

You didn't like me, we're not even friends.

Day by day, I continued on living the life I wanted. The life you thought was shallow and immature was full of zest and unimaginable happiness. I could almost walk on the clouds as you watched me from afar begrudgingly. You didn't know happiness even if it hit you in the face.

I took you by the hand, we're not even friends.

I looked at you. Saw you. Focused on you. Tried to help you. I saw someone who needed some cheering up. I have so much happiness to share that I don't mind reaching out to you although you just stood there and shooed me away.

You finally reached out, we're not even friends.

You looked back at me. Stood up to be seen. Held your breath and raised your hands. Finally, you succumbed to life, for once you weren't just simply existing but living. You breathed in everything that I had to offer and sighed at the thought of not experiencing it. It's like living in color for the first time.

We held each other, we're not even friends.

Everything happened all at once. From a couple of secret rendezvous to planned trips we started to get so high on each other. It all seemed so perfect and natural, we finally didn't need to hide. We started to see what could be. Me and you. You and me. Maybe this is it. Our own version of ever after.

We knew each other like the backs of our hands, we're not even friends.

We did things together. We laughed, cried, messed up, win, lose, celebrate and kissed. Oh we kissed. Like a whole lot. You looked at me like I am the most important person in the whole universe. I felt loved, needed.

And then life happened, we're still not friends.

Routines started to sink in. Everything became comfortable. At the back of my mind, everything was normal, we're okay. I didn't know what you were thinking but I started to feel the isolation. Weren't we a team? We're not friends but we did want the best for each other. At least that's what I wanted for you, but I never knew if you felt the same way, too.

You left me, how can we be friends?

I didn't realize that as I tried my best to save you by swimming to the shore, you were slowly putting all your weight on me. I forgot that I could walk on clouds that I remained in the water treading for our dear lives. The girl who once was trying to save someone is now tired and slowly sinking. As I pull us to shore, all my energy is exhausted while you quickly ran around. I'm drowning in the shallow waters.

I am now trying to get my bearings. Slowly, painfully, I lift up my hands hoping for you to save me. But you didn't. I had to twist and wriggle just to move closer to the shore. Hopefully be able to get some air and be able to stand up again. The process is taking forever as I writhed in pain. My whole body is trembling. Coldness envelops my being.

I'm letting you leave, we can't be friends.

Comments